Backroadsgold.com Restores and Replates Vintage Gillette Safety Razors for Re-Sellers, Stores, Collectors and Users. We also replate Above The Tie, Karve, Rockwell, Ever-Ready, GEM, Star, and other single and double edge safety razors with Brass, Copper or Stainless Steel as the basemetal
We offer 24 K Hard Gold, Platinum and Mirror Nickel Plating / Replating of Safety Razors and Other Collectibles. Razors are ‘New Again’ and Shave Ready. Current examples of completed razors are on our Gallery page.
- Inspection, Repairs are made, guards are straightend, doors are straightened, mechanics are checked, endcaps soldered (purchased on Etsy or donor razor supplied by customer), razor is then disassembled.
- We start with a 10 minute soak in Pine Sol (kills 99.9% of germs). Then 1 hour of Deep Cleaning / Disinfecting in 160 degree Ultrasonic with special degreaser / soap scum remover.
- Polishing. Worn, pitted locations are sanded and or smoothed out, heavy pitting will be lessened but still be visible. Outer Head Surface and Endcaps are sanded to remove all scratches and pitting then mirror polished smooth. The rest of the razor will have a polished factory finish.
- Hand Polish with special jewelers cloths.
- Next, ALL razors receive Ultrasonic Deep Clean / Disinfecting at 160 degrees then 160 degree Electroclean, then Surface Activation, then Bright Nickel Plating
- Next we add 24K Hard Gold Plate, or Platinum if chosen.
- I paint the numbers and selector spring with Testors enamel paint. The black ring below the selector dial on Fatboys and Executives is now USA made automotive pinstriping, which in our exprience lasts longer than painting with enamel. Red Tips and Blue Tips use Humbrol Enamel paints then are baked on, repeated and baked 2nd time.
- Reassembly, blade gap is checked and set, mechanics are checked.
- Final Hand Polish,
FATBOYS , Toggles and Executives – We paint the numbers and selector spring with Testors enamel paint. The black ring below the selector dial is now USA made automotive pinstriping, which in our exprience lasts longer than painting with enamel – see pic.
We use a 24 karat hardened gold plating that is many times more thick (29 micro-inches) than the original plating or gold wash used in the early 1900’s. Anything less than 20µin is considered Electroplating, over 20µin is considered Gold Plate by the FTC. We provide a shave ready, restored razor with high hardness, corrosion and wear resistance. Our Guarantee covers the first 6 months under normal use, if cleaned only with Dawn dish liquid, a soft toothbrush, and hair dryer dried, sent in with Certificate.
Not all razors can be made to look brand new with a mirror finish.
Heads, Caps and Door exteriors will always have a new, mirror look, regardless of the rest of the razors condition. Depending on the degree of wear and oxidation, we can get any condition razor back close to factory condition. The best mirror finish razors usually come from above average condition donor razors. Extremely worn or oxidized razors look really good, but may have blemishes which add patina. We do not try to overly buff a worn razor to a mirror finish as brass is soft and details suffer. We protect the detail and lettering and will always maintain those above minor imperfections. For razors in this condition, It gives a unique antique look with uniform plating.
Razors should be in good working condition, we do offer repairs, please email first about any repairs needed. We straighten comb teeth at owners risk only, 30% of the time the teeth break. Plating issues or cleanliness does not matter much. The final result is totally dependent upon the condition of the razor sent in. The nicer the condition, the nicer the final result. A heavily pitted razor will look 10X better, but may still have a few flaws.
EXCLUSIONS – We do not plate Bottom Dials, Red Dot Fatboys, Gem Micromatics, Chrome, Zamak, Zinc, Pot Metal Razors, Blue Tips, Black Handles, Black Beauties, Starburst or Aluminum handle razors. Not replating Razor Cases at this time.
Please use the ORDER FORM for sending in razors. Pricing is below, NO Sales Tax! The first razor will be charged $4.00 extra for USPS PRIORITY MAIL- USA Only. After Pictures are sent to owner for approval, the Gillette Adjustable Razor is comes in a Black Vlvet drawstring bag and is returned in a Gift Box with a Certificate of Authenticity, that states the razor was replated and refurbished from it’s original condition, along with a Vintage Gillette Logo Card, a Shannons Soaps LTD shave soap sample and a 5 pack of Gillette Silver Blue Blades.
- PLATING PRICING
- Gillette Toggle, Fatboy and Slim adjustable
- Nickel – $65________Gold – $75_____Platinum – $75_____Rhodium – Out-$29K/oz
- ALL Other Razors (Except those excluded above)
- Nickel – $55________Gold – $65_____Platinum – $65_____Rhodium – Out-$29K/oz
- Add On Items (when ordering razor re-plating)
- Single New End Cap $10 each (we supply the end cap, install, and plate with razor)
- Blade Banks – $30
- 3 Piece Head – $20
- 3 Piece Guard – $20
- 3 Piece Handle – $25
- Please Contact us for prices of any other items or collectibles you may want plated.
4-15-21 Rhodium has hit $29,000 an ounce. Im sorry, I am not going to be paying the $3500 to replenish my bath. The main reason is Rhodium contaminates too easily. If I were to contaminate it, all gets thrown away. This is way too much risk.
[[[ Info and Examples on our website- www.backroadsgold.com – Back Roads Gold is not an associate of the Gillette Company and the content or viewpoint of this product is not endorsed by the Gillette Company – Sale is marked as Gift Razor – Value of sale and HS Code 8212.10 ]]]